Monday, August 31, 2015

Iglesia ni Cristo Centennial

My class just ended. I had a three hours free time before the next class. I have to do something to kill time. Good thing this guy from an online app texted me. He's from Montalban. He looks cute on his profile picture. We then discussed over text how to get to his place. I calculated if I can get there and back in time for my next class, although I haven't really been to that part of Montalban.

I proceeded out of the building and catch the next Ikot jeep thinking of the best route to get to the first point on his directions. After a few minutes, I hopped in another jeep to get to Philcoa. From there, I looked for any Fairview jeep to get to Litex.

He told me to look for an Urban jeep or Erap City jeep somewhere around Litex market. I know that route will get me to Payatas but he told me their place is even beyond Payatas. He texted again to check where I was. I told him I'm confused which jeep to ride.

There were Payatas and Erap City/Urban jeeps. I just rode the latter. After a minute, he told me the route should be Suburban. I asked a passenger if that was the correct jeep. I paid the minimum fare and got off. I crossed the street and rode a jeep going to the opposite direction.

I asked around and learned that the Suburban jeep terminal is at Commonwealth market just across Litex. It was midday and hot and it was crowded but not heavily as rush hour. After walking a distance and asking some more, I finally found the correct jeep.

He continued texting to check where I was. The jeep passed by Payatas where lots of dump trucks still enter. It did smell awful but only for a minute in that entire ride. I could now see the lake-like La Mesa watershed on the left. After fifteen minutes, it already feels suburban with the residential subdivisions left and right. I was following the entire ride on my Maps app so I knew the green mountains of Montalban would be next on the right.

Half an hour more when I saw the landmark where I was supposed to get off. It is the terminal anyways so I just waited for the other passengers. He said he will be waiting near the terminal. I immediately saw him in the color of the clothes he was wearing. He was holding an umbrella. He is fat compared to his picture and quite flamboyant. There was still some time to look around so I agreed to follow him to his place. And I was hungry too.

We walked past townhouses and apartments and a basketball court before entering a smaller compound. There was a small Iglesia ni Cristo chapel around the corner just before his place. I asked who were with him. He said he's alone now that his family was out until evening. He pointed the gated lot across the street which he is an events organizer. It was their family's business and the reason he was very tired last night.

We went inside and let me sit on the sofa. He asked if I wanted to watch a movie. I declined. There was not enough time and I wasn't in the mood either. He sat beside me and become a bit touchy. I stood up and looked around. He asked if I was hungry. I said yes. He began preparing a plate and Adobo. He cooked it earlier and just finished having lunch while waiting for me.

After eating, I asked if I could use the comfort room to poop. It was very spacious which is as big as a room. I liked how they used a plastic storage box as water bucket. I stayed a bit so not be rude even if I was in a hurry to get back to school. I saw a portrait of Manalo beside their family portrait. I played dumb and asked if he was their uncle. He said they are members of INC. In fact, all in that compound are relatives and members as well.

I said I really need to go back. He asked if I don't want to do it anymore. I respectfully declined. He walked me back to the terminal.

My professor questioned me if I have any excuse. I had none. She scolded me for being late twenty minutes. Then a classmate asked where I have been. I told him I've gone to immersion.

Later that night, I searched about Erap City. It being the biggest relocation site in the Philippines and built during former President Erap's time. The contractor was the New San Jose Builders.

The NSJBI has also been the contractor of many other government projects. It also developed some INC properties. It built the Philippine Arena in time for the Iglesia’s centennial and became the biggest indoor arena in the world.


The NSJBI also allegedly renovated the Boracay Mansion which was linked to Erap. He was the presidential candidate included in INC's bloc-vote back in 1998. INC supported him even until EDSA 3. I was there physically, though asleep in a vehicle. My grandpa and grandma who were Erap loyalists brought us there. And my grade school years in nearby La Salle Green Hills were constantly disrupted by these events.


He continued sending messages to me online. Then after some weeks, it all stopped.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment